vendredi 2 septembre 2016

Having trouble with SIM-unlocking

OK, so here's the deal, guys. I recently ran into some financial issues, which may mean a total loss of income for an undetermined period of time. I've been calling companies I owe money, offering to settle old debts like college loans, so I can get my credit straightened out.

I bought an LG v10 less than 6 months ago. I went into a local T-Mobile store yesterday to pay off last month's balance, but more importantly, my device balance. So now my account balance is zero for everything. The account is still active but won't be as of next month. I'm trying to get my SIM permanently unlocked so I can switch to another carrier like MetroPCS or Straight Talk (prepaid). I am aware that carriers can blacklist the ESNs of devices that are past due/delinquent, so that is part of my motivation. I just wanted to own my device free and clear.

The rep told me in the store that I can use the Device Unlock app on the stock ROM (he noticed that I had CM13 installed, LOL) to request a permanent unlock. So I flashed back to stock, relocked bootloader, and tried the app. But it's not working. He did say that I would possibly need to wait 24 hours, and I have. I was also told not to cancel the account before unlocking, or else I can't get an unlock, paid or not. I really prefer not to pay another month's bill, I also don't want to pay some shady unlock website. I read the terms for unlocking, since I'm paid then I should be eligible.

Now, this is where the situation gets a little hairy, so read carefully. When I bought the phone I put it in a now ex-friend's name, because he has good credit and mine is crap. The price they quoted him was less than half of what they quoted me. So the account is under his name, he had to use his ID, but I paid for everything with *MY* money. But the phone is in my physical possession, I'm the one paying the bills. To make long story short, I caught him trying to steal from me, so I ended the friendship. He's made himself scarce, so up until yesterday getting hold of him to convince him to come into the store with me was difficult. But now I have to find him again so we can make a final call to settle the unlock, then I'll just let the account get cancelled when I don't pay next month. They won't let me do anything over the phone except make payments, since I don't know his Social Security #.

Once I get the SIM unlocked and the account is cancelled there will be no fear with blacklisting, I should be able to freely switch to another prepaid carrier later. However, if I decide I want to take advantage of T-Mobile's "bring your own device" policy later, will they let me rejoin as a prepaid customer? No potential issues?

I'm just looking for a little advice on what to do next.

Thanks!


from xda-developers http://ift.tt/2cwQHYo
via IFTTT

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire